Thursday, June 30, 2011

Mmm, I'm in love with Taiwan's LYCHEES 荔枝

How do you like your lychee's? Out of a can? Perhaps with ice cream? Only in a martini? Never had one before?

I like my lychee's fresh. Fresh from a tree. Green bug bitten leaves intact. Stems and all. Smelling sweet and fresh.



We have been fortunate in Taiwan, having access to 'exotic' fruits such as guava, pineapple, papaya, various melons, mangoes and the sort. I love seeing my fruit growing in the roadside fields and then being sold at a roadside stand. I love knowing that the fruit was picked from the tree, stem and all to secure freshness, right before I bought it.


Lychee's just taste better that way.



To be brutally honest, I had no idea how lychee's grew until I came to Taiwan. I also had never seen rows of spiky pineapples shooting up out of the ground. And in Taiwan is where I spied green mangoes hanging from a branch, on random roadside trees. I will miss the ease, organic nature and family run businesses which supply us with our delicious  fruit here in Kaohsiung. I will also be missing the price on return to Australia...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious, Kylie! Only lychees in a can here in Marrakech. Rats!

    ReplyDelete