Sunday, January 16, 2011

Hair Wash - the Taiwanese Way

I had heard the boasts by many ex-pats about the luxe hair washes in Taiwan. I had more than one  friend offer a hair wash date, so I took up the offer and went.

I am not so fond of hair cuts abroad. My hair is thick and curly and tests even the most experienced stylist. So a visit to the hair dresser without scissors in their hand, made me less anxious about my visit.

My friend took me to DMS Hair Salon where $250NT (about $8.50US) bought me 2 hours of bliss.

First, I sat in a comfy chair and had my neck and back massaged for about 10 minutes. Then, the stylist took a large paddle brush and strongly brushed my hair, concentrating more on my scalp than actual hair, for about 20 minutes. I closed my eyes and relaxed. Then, I felt a strange action on my scalp, kind of like a monkey tickling my head. When I opened my eyes I saw that the stylist was using the end of the paddle brush to make circles on my scalp - bliss.

Next, I moved on to the horizontal chair where I was covered in a blanket, and my head was laid on a little pad in a basin. A fragrant cloth was placed on my forehead, partially covering my eyes. My hair was shampooed with L'Oreal products and massaged not once, not twice, but THREE times! Conditioner was applied and then after what felt like a n hour, it was time to move back to the styling chair.

Peppermint oil was applied to the nape of my neck and my neck was massaged once more.

To finish, my hair was meticulously blow dried straight, the stylist like a orchestra conductor with nodding head and all while he dried my soft, clean hair.

What an experience! There are many women who go at least once a week for this experience. And for less than $10US who wouldn't?

This will become a fortnightly "splurge" for me and I am so looking forward to my next visit.



The salon I visited is DMS Hair Salon. I received a L'Oreal Shampoo for $250NT.
I tipped $100NT.
View Stylist Max's blog here.
A map to the DMS Hair Salon is below.

No comments:

Post a Comment